1. The spring of 2012 saw denim making a huge comeback with pastel-coloured and bright skinny jeans being the most popular. After Kate Middleton was seen wearing a raspberry pair of skinnies whilst walking her new spaniel, sales shot through the roof. Winter saw the style of jeans remain popular but more earthy tones of brown, burgundy, and plum were worn to indicate the change of season. Teamed with flat shoes or canvas deck shoes, coloured skinny jeans were the most popular piece of casual clothing to be worn last year.
2. Peplum styles have been around for a couple of years but once again, it was Kate Middleton who drew the public eye to the style after wearing a peplum skirt suit during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. Peplums now come on casual dresses as well as evening gowns and became bigger and bolder over 2012.
3. Brogues were one of the hottest shoe trends of 2012 and teamed with the popular coloured skinny jeans they became the epitome of casual chic. Moreover, with the long wet British summer, coloured Wellingtons became an essential women’s fashion statement, seen at every festival and outdoor event in the summer of 2012.
4. The TV series ‘Mad Men’ inspired a nostalgic revival of retro fashion with figure hugging dresses and skirt suits with a 1950s and 60s feel. Designers like Vivien of Holloway became hugely popular with the glamorous take on reproduction clothing and teamed with hats and gloves, women everywhere sported an air of elegant chic.
5. Clutch bags, big enough for every woman’s needs were the ultimate accessory for the 2012 retro revival but gave way to a larger bag trend over winter 2012. Animal prints became fashionable again and celebrities were seen with matching snakeskin shoes and bags just in time for the festive party season.